Walk In with an Idea (or without a Clue); Walk Out with an Essay
First Choice’s College Essay Bootcamps are focused on personal attention to help each student craft an authentic, coherent, and compelling college admissions essay.
Bootcamps are designed for students struggling to start, finish, or polish one or more college essays. Just bring your laptop and whatever drafts or ideas you may have. We even provide breakfast and lunch!
If you haven’t started, just bring your activity list, and we’ll help you pick out the best topic.
IF YOU DON’T COMPLETE YOUR ESSAY DURING THE BOOTCAMP, WE WILL FOLLOW UP WITH YOU PRIVATELY AFTERWARD TO ENSURE YOU COMPLETE IT!
Typical Bootcamp agenda (will be customized based on attendees’ needs):
- 8: 00 am – Registration and Setup
- 8:15 am – Continental Breakfast (served on location)
- 8:30 am – What Colleges are Looking for In Applicants and their Essays
- 9:00 am – Best Topics to Pick and Which Ones to Avoid
- 9:30 am – Students Brainstorm their “Personal Narrative” (who are you!?)
- 10:00 am – Finalize your topic with the help of an expert
- 10:30 am – Learn How to Tell a Story (Structure of Great Essays)
- 11:00 am – Draft your first essay! (or refine it if you already have a draft)
- 12:00 pm – Lunch Break (served on location)
- 12:30 pm – Checking your essay for red flags.
- 1:00 pm – How to be a better writer (beyond grammar, spelling, and punctuation)
- 1:30 pm – Roundtable feedback from experts and other students
- 2:00 pm – Revise your essay based on new learnings and feedback
- 3:00 pm – Learn how to trim any essay to length (more writing tips and secrets)
- 3:30 pm – Does the essay sound like you? Does every word advance your narrative?
- 4:00 pm – One final revision putting it all together!
- 5:00 pm – Wrap up
Register for one of our upcoming College Essay Bootcamps to be held at the Short Hills Hilton or Grand Summit Hotel.